Thursday, August 1, 2013

My name is Emily, and I've Lived with Depression & Anxiety.

Do you ever feel like people judge you or look down on you for something that seems so different about you?  Well, don't fear, because you are going to learn that...


If you can't understand how amazing you are, then you're in disbelief. I was in disbelief throughout my whole life. I went through life always second, third, fourth guessing myself. I was taught to be perfect, and that if I wasn't perfect, I thought that I would not be worthy of being loved. I became a perfectionist, and often my demon would tell me that I wasn't good enough, & that I would never be good enough.  This contributed to my low self-esteem.  The mentally abusive Dr. Hyde caused me to have a poor self-image of myself.    


However, the situation gradually changed over my life when I started learning about people like Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Aung San Suu Kyi, Desmond Tutu, Michael Jackson, Ai Wei Wei, Eleanor Roosevelt, Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres... All of them have passion to use their talents to make a positive influence on society.

When I was in junior high, MLK Jr. influenced the way I would think.  He truly became an inspirational person in my growth as an individual.  I saw how he would tell his African American brothers & sisters during the Civil Rights Movement (my version of what he would say to uplift his African American community), "You are NO worse or better than the White Man."  In the same way, I thought of my classmates in grade school, "Unpopular kids, you are no worse or better than the popular kids!" So yeah... I learned about racism and the ideas of oppression at an early age in life... It sucks to be bullied. Who ever likes to feel worse than others?! (PLEASE no one raise your hand!) But anyhow, we are all equal on this Earth no matter what our socioeconomic background, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc. We are ALL one BIG Human Family on this planet we call Mother Earth. Let's all stand together as one. Are you with me?!  


2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily, that video link is showing up as "Private"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right now, I have it on private. I'll make another video later on in the future.

      Delete