Saturday, September 13, 2014

MLE's Latest Achievements!


Hi Everybody! :) 

I know it's been a LONG time since April when I last blogged! I've been so inCREDibly preoccupied with many events, programs, conferences, & responsibilities happening in my life! xP

However, I DO want to summarize some updates for you on a few things I've been doing! =) These were my accomplishments in the last several months! =D

In May 2014, 
-The LACDMH & a Sacramento film crew from Runyon Saltzman Einhorn hired by the California Mental Health Movement Each Mind Matters came down from Sacramento to shoot several videos of me. It was a blast! xD 


- I became a certified presenter for NAMI's Ending the Silence (ETS) program & did my 1st ETS presentation for the Los Angeles County Office of Education's Eliminating Barriers to Learning Training for teachers & school administrators of LA County. 

- I wrote the article "Happy Mental Health Awareness Month! It’s Time to Normalize the Elephant!" as a guest writer for TaiwaneseAmerican.org! Thanks HoChie Tsai for giving me an opportunity to share my story! 

- I applied for the Entertainment Industries Council (EIC) Mental Health Fellowship & was selected for the fellowship & financial award! 

- I met Congresswoman Grace Napolitano, Dr. Thomas Parham (Vice Chancellor of UC Irvine Student Affairs), Steve Pitman (President of NAMI Orange County) of the community at UC Irvine's Piece of Minds event. 

- In celebration of Mental Health Awareness Month, I scheduled a resource booth for the Asian Coalition of LACDMH at the Taiwanese American Heritage Festival. There at the festival, I performed twice on stage wearing lime green colors & told the audience that I wore the color for Mental Health Awareness. In my quick speech, I explained how proud I am to be Taiwanese American because of the Taiwanese strong spirit of resilience, & I related that to mental health. I also mentioned how my activism is also inspired by my Uncle Koh Se-Kai, a well-respected leader of the Taiwanese Independence Movement. For my song, I sang "Defying Gravity" from the Wicked Musical soundtrack for my first time on stage & won 3rd place for their Taiwanese American Idol program. 

- I attended the City of Rosemead's City Council Member meeting to receive a proclamation for May as Mental Health Awareness Month with NAMI San Gabriel Valley's President Victor Cass & Nancy Eng, VP of Consumer/Family Crisis Support & Public Education

- I successfully pinned the Each Mind Matters Green Ribbon on almost all of the people who attended Hilda Solis' campaign event!

In June 2014, 
I was elected as the new Chair of the Asian Coalition of LACDMH. Here is the day I was elected as Chair, & I took a selfie w/the immediate past Chair Nami Roberts. 

- I became a certified presenter for NAMI's In Our Own Voice (IOOV) program & did my 1st IOOV presentation for NAMI SGV's Family to Family Class. Our presentation was well-received. =) 

- I became an Official Voting Member of the LACDMH Service Area 3 Advisory Committee. 
- I received my Certificate of Achievement for completing the City of Arcadia's Leadership Academy. 
- I kicked off the "Innovations in Recovery" Conference (hosted by LA County Client Coalition) w/my Intuitive Freestyle Dance (aka Dance Therapy) & Singing Defying GravityIn addition at the LACCC conference, I did a workshop presentation on "My Journey to Finding My Self-worth." A link to part of my presentation will be posted on YouTube at a later time. My presentation was well-received! =) But you can see my kick-off performance on YouTube video here! EnJOY! =) 

In July 2014, 
- Each Mind Matters completed my interview vignette video, which can be found here!
http://www.eachmindmatters.org/portfolio/emilys-story/



In August 2014,
- I was appointed at the Chair of Programming for NAMI San Gabriel Valley.  As Chair, I assisted in event planning for their August 23rd Annual Summer Picnic held at Almansor Park in Alhambra.


- I was hired to become NAMI East San Gabriel Valley's Website Administrator. 
- I was listed as a Nominee for the SAMHSA's Voice Awards program. This awards program recognizes consumer/peer leaders & television and film professionals who educate the public about Behavioral Health. Through their work & personal stories of resilience, both groups of leaders demonstrate that people with behavioral health challenges can and do recover & lead meaningful lives. 

- At a graduation with 2 other cohorts, I received my Certificate for completing Pacific Clinics' Paraprofessional Mental Health Worker Training program & internship in April 2014. 

- I received a scholarship to attend the Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles' (AAAJ-LA) 3 Day Community Engagement Academy.

- I was nominated to be the Keynote Speaker for LACDMH's upcoming 9th Annual API Hope & Recovery Conference to be held in Alhambra, CA on October 29, 2014. 


Here's the LACDMH API Hope & Recovery Conference flyer & link to the registration form! Sign up & register SOON! The conference is limited to 400 attendees!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment